Welcome to the iSMTA KickStart Introduction to Cyber Security Management Protection. The objective of this course is to provide the student with enough knowledge to understand the function of cyber security protection within a commercial business or organisation. This includes an understanding of the main functions of cyber security, cyber threats, risk reduction and good practice for students thinking about a career as a cyber security specialist.
The course will provide the student with enough detail to understand the role of cyber security and other related security functions within the business world. It will also demonstrate the possibilities of a rewarding and challenging career for those who decide to become a cyber security specialist. There are many cyber security protection specialists throughout the business world, from junior to senior positions, with responsibilities and work pressures that are commensurate with rewards.
Cyber Security within a Business
Cyber security is that part of protection within a business, or organisation, that is focused on enabling the authorised use of IT systems, at the same time as preventing unauthorised access. The main aim of cyber security is to help make the business more successful. This can involve strategies that enhance confidence with shareholders, customers and stakeholders, through to preventing damage to the business brand, actual losses and business disruptions. Cyber security should be applied to computing devices, such as desktops, servers, laptops, notebooks, smartphones and networks. The field includes all the processes and mechanisms by which digital equipment, information and services, are protected from unintended, or unauthorised access, change, or destruction and is of growing importance due to the increasing reliance on computer systems in most societies.
The Use of Cyber Security
Cyber Security is particularly relevant to the following:
- Enabling the safe use – of internet connected services, smart devices & communication systems
- Enabling the safe use – of all IT controlled business functions, critical national infrastructures
- Detection and prevention of unauthorised access
- Availability of IT systems and Cloud services
- Secure storage of customers’ private and intimate information and data
- Legal and regulatory compliance
The Cyber Security Specialist
A business needs a qualified specialist who can design and maintain the appropriate cyber security. This requires the specialist to know and understand:
- The business – in particular, the business strategy, mission, culture, operations and budget
- Cyber threats – knowing about any groups, or individuals, who are a particular threat
- Cyber risk assessments – IT system’s vulnerabilities and impact of any successful attack
- Cyber risk reduction – design, implement and maintain protective measures
- Security convergence – knowledge of all the other business security functions
- The world of cyber systems – trends and emerging threats to IT systems
Course Aim & Length
This programme is designed to provide a basic understanding of what cyber security protection is, the basic components of what cyber security specialists provide and how it adds to a safer world. What follows therefore is an understanding of:
- The Role of Cyber Security Specialists – where we explain the central functions of cyber security within a business, which experts are needed and how to get the most effective and most efficient protection
- The Basic Security Management Organisation Structure – where we explain how a centralised security management organisation can best support the business and their internal and external customers
- Cyber Threat Awareness – where we provide examples of the range of common cyber threats faced by a business today and explain the importance of threat assessments to keep the threat mitigation to a sensible level
- Key Steps to Cyber Security – where we promote the good practice suggested by national and international experts. This will provide a high level of understanding on the areas covered by cyber security within a business
- Cyber Security Risk Assessment and Risk Reduction – where we explain the need for professional and certified risk assessment processes. This is then linked to the measures available to reduce risk to accepted levels
- Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT) – where we explain the function and use of CERT within an organisation, or business
- Information Security Protection – where we explain the importance of protecting business sensitive information, employee information and customer data as required by laws and good practice
- Convergent Security – where we explain the other key security functions that have a role in supporting cyber protection
- Business Resilience – where we explain what business resilience is, its importance to a business and the integration of resilience with cyber security
- Cyber Security Specialist as a Career – where we outline the value and benefits of a career as a cyber security specialist
Unlike other training companies our Kick-start courses are designed to provide a level of information that enables you to make informed decisions on the level and type of course you may wish to progress with (Try-Before-You-Buy). We also provide a discount on related qualification courses on final completion, so that you save money on chosen related courses from our portfolio.
This Kick-Start Course provides an iSMTA attendance certificate, which is also proof to claim your discount.
How it Works
By joining our Academy you will receive the following:
– Access to our Professional Dashboard
– Upto 5 hours of taught Professional e-learning course
– Downloadable PDF Factsheets
– Directed research guidance through Thinkpoints
– Access to Discounted courses
Who Should Attend
We, at the iSMTA, would like to help students to progress in their chosen career. All the iSMTA employees and our training SMEs are fully committed to, and active within, the security industry and the security profession. At the iSMTA we aim to provide e-learning training courses for students, from college to retirement. We believe the security specialist and security professional should be qualified and they should keep modern through Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
Help with Employment
The iSMTA has developed a range of courses, and is continually producing more, that can provide industry and professionally recognised qualifications to students looking to start, or develop, a rewarding career. We are also well connected within the security recruitment business, particularly with world leaders in security officer recruitment, at all levels. These recruiters will be happy to help and advise on a security career.
Further Professional Training
The iSMTA offers an unprecedented range of security courses, at all levels that will suit the beginner, the specialist and the professional. All you need to know for a rewarding career in the security profession, is available within our courses. Some students will be new to the security world and some will be looking at a career change, in particular, if members of the military or police services are looking for top quality civilian qualifications, then the iSMTA should be your choice for professional training through e-learning.
The Security Profession
The security profession, worldwide, has a number of top quality institutes and associations that will be happy to provide help and assistance to any member. The iSMTA is proud to be a training provider endorsed by the Security Institute (SyI) in the UK and many employees of the iSMTA are Fellows, or Members, of the SyI. It is organisations like SyI that provide mentoring and guidance to all its membership and offer regular conference events that keep the security specialist and professional up to date with modern thinking. When a student enrols on an iSMTA Level 5 course, the iSMTA will pay a year’s subscription for their student membership of the SyI.